“I was born for a storm and a calm does not suit me.”
-Andrew Jackson
“I’m going
to have to see about him,” Ben muttered.
They had
left the diner shortly after discovering their unexpected companion. Martha had
hailed a taxi to take her back to her own apartment, but Ben had insisted on
taking George out to a bar a few streets down for drinks and more talk.
“I don’t
like people spying on me. Who does he think he is, anyway? I’m on the board of
directors for Christ’s sake; he’s basically a rent-a-cop!”
“Easy
there,” George said. “Don’t lose your temper.”
“Who’s
losing his temper?” Ben snapped. “I’m just saying, if he was spying on me, he’s
gonna regret it.”
George
couldn’t pretend he wasn’t unnerved by the incident as well. It seemed pretty
obvious to him that Joshua hadn’t simply shown up in this one out-of-the-way
restaurant on a whim. Nor, now that he came to think of it, was it at all
likely that he ever had anything like a ‘half-day.’ No, he was sure that Joshua
had purposefully followed him there…for what? Just to smile, say a bit of
cryptic nonsense and leave him unnerved? What was the point of it?
Ben took a deep drink of his beer and then,
abruptly, changed the subject.
“So, what’s
the deal with you and Martha?”
George, who
had just taken a drink himself, choked.
“What do
you…” he gasped, coughing and spilling Sam Adams all over the table.
“You know
what I mean.”
It took
George a minute to finish choking and answer.
“Nothing,”
he managed at last. “Just friends.”
“Oh, okay,”
said Ben with a shrug. George took another drink to try to wash down the one
that had gotten stuck in his throat.
“Because I
was thinking of asking her out myself.”
This time,
George actually spat the whole thing out in a high-pressure spray. Ben shook
with laughter. George, temporarily unable to speak for coughing, punched him
hard in the arm.
“Guess it’s
not nothing then,” he said, rubbing the spot and still grinning.
“Alright,”
George gasped after composing himself once more. “I admit it; I like her. She’s
fun, and she’s got a good head on her shoulders.”
“What’s
below the shoulders isn’t bad either,” Ben pointed out. George glared at him.
“Easy there, tough guy, just joking.”
George
scowled, started to raise his beer to his lips again, then thought better of
it.
“Anyway, we
get along, and I enjoy her company, but it’s too soon to tell yet,” he
concluded.
“Too soon?
Buddy, you’ve known her, what? Two months? Three? Christ, by that time, she’d
have her own drawer at my place.”
“Yeah,
well, I don’t work that way,” George muttered.
“I know, I
know,” said Ben, waving his hand. “You’re the ‘wait for the right girl’ type; I
respect that. Just saying; don’t waste time. If you think she might be that right girl, you don’t want
someone like me stealing her right out from under your nose.”
George
smirked.
“Yeah,
well, if you did that, I’d have to break yours.”
“Oh, my; that sounds like you’re about ready
to make up your mind.”
George
grunted and risked taking a sip of beer.
“How about
you; you got any plans to take the plunge? Stop being a playboy?”
“Are you
kidding?” said Ben. “I’m just getting started! Unless some really devious
temptress shows up and seduces the sense out of me, I plan to stay a rich,
handsome, and extremely eligible bachelor for a long time yet.”
He took
another drink, then added “And I’m not to worried about the moral issue, if
that’s what’s you’re wondering. Way I see it you’re moral enough to cover both
of us. One of the reasons I like having you around. You’re like if a Boy Scout
grew up in a convent, and I mean that in the best possible way.”
“Naw,”
George said with a shrug. “I’m just another guy.”
“Well,
yeah,” said Ben. “But you’re the kind of ‘other guy’ who feels guilty because
he was rejected from serving in a war that’s pulling in about a thousand casualties
a day.”
“It’s not
quite that bad,” said George.
“Oh, no?
What’s the latest casualty count? And I know
you know it.”
George
sighed.
“Latest
estimates are about fifteen thousand American casualties.
“Fifteen
thousand in one year, and you feel bad because you’re not in it. I call that
Boy Scout behavior, and that’s not even counting all the other noble crap I’ve
seen you do. Just last week you made us miss the whole first quarter of the Friars game while you helped some lady change her tire.”
“It was a
bad neighborhood; who knows what might’ve happened if she’d had to do it by
herself?”
“I’m not questioning it, I’m just
saying; you’re an absolute Boy Scout.”
Ben grinned
and raised his glass.
“So,” he
said. “If I ever start to go too far, you will let me know, right?”
George
clinked his bottle against Ben’s.
“Sure.”
They
laughed and drank. George checked his watch.
“Aw, hell;
I gotta get home to bed.”
“Oh,
right,” said Ben. “I keep forgetting you work owl hours.”
“You’re the
one who got me those hours,” George
reminded him.
“No, I’m
the one who got you the job,” said Ben. “Your sneaking and spying boss set the
hours. Another reason for me not to like him.”
They
drained the last of their beer, dropped a tip, and made for the door. Outside,
they decided, as they had on the way in, to cut across the block through the
alleyway next to the bar. It had gone fine earlier, and it wasn’t quite night
yet. The alley was wreathed in shadows, but had appeared relatively clean and
orderly the last time they came through.
This time,
though, it didn’t go fine.
About
halfway down the alley was crossed by another, narrower alley. And as they
reached the corner, someone suddenly came around it and bumped right into
George.
“Hey, watch
where you’re going, punk!”
In the light of the lamp set in the
wall overhead, George saw that the speaker was small, wiry man with a boxy face
crisscrossed with the lines of old scars. He looked as though he were trying
very hard to grow a mustache, but the feat was proving beyond his power.
“Sorry…”
George began, but Ben had to butt in at that point.
“You watch
where you’re going, pipsqueak!”
“Pipsqueak?”
the man said. He sounded like he was originally from somewhere in New Jersey.
“Hey, Mooky, did you hear that? This college boy thinks my name’s ‘Pipsqueak.’”
His friend stepped
around the corner into the light. No one would call him ‘pipsqueak’ except ironically; he was roughly the size and
shape of large refrigerator. His small, dim-looking eyes were set deep in his
rather pudgy face, and his hair looked like he had long ago grown out of it.
“Is that
so, Slicer?” said Mooky in a deep, slow voice. “Why would he do such a thing?”
“Guess they
didn’t teach him no manners in his fancy-pants school,” said Slicer. “Looks
like maybe we gotta take up the effort, eh, Mooky?”
“Maybe,
Slicer.”
“Hey, guys,
we don’t want any trouble,” said George. “Excuse my friend here; he was just
startled, you see…”
“Doesn’t
look all that startled to me,” said Slicer, eying Ben. “How about it, college
boy? Did I startle you.”
“Oh, yes,”
said Ben. “For a second, I thought a chimpanzee had gotten loose.”
George
always knew Ben had a bad habit of picking fights, but he had thought that even
he would know better than to provoke
an obviously unstable man named ‘Slicer.’ He grabbed Ben by the arm and hissed
“Shut up, idiot! You’re gonna get us
killed!” But Slicer was now screeching like a bat and it was doubtful Ben
heard his friend’s admonition.
“Oh, funny
guy!” Slicer cackled. “Ain’t he a funny one, huh? Huh Mooky? Huh?”
Mooky
chuckled sycophantically.
“Freakin’
hilarious!” Slicer went on. Then, with a flick of his wrist, he produced a
long, wicked-looking switchblade as if by magic. “How about that?” he snarled,
waving it in their faces. Ben and George took a step back. “You think that’s
funny, college boy? Huh?”
Mooky
chuckled again.
“Yeah,
you’re pretty funny, Slicer.”
Slicer
rolled his eyes and sighed.
“This isn’t supposed to be funny, idiot;
that’s the point.
“Sorry,”
Mooky shrugged. “Sometimes you’re kinda hard to follow.”
“Okay,
okay,” George interjected, taking advantage of the thug’s distraction. “Look,
we’re sorry, it was our fault, we’ll be more careful next time.”
Slicer
licked his teeth thoughtfully.
“What do
you say, Mooky? You think we should let ‘em go?”
“Uh…You
really thinking about doin’ it, Slicer?” Mooky asked, sounding surprised. “Just
like that? Out here in the open an all?”
“We ain’t in the open, Mooky; this look open to
you?”
“Well, I
mean, there’s big street right there, and you know we’re not supposed to do
stuff that might…you know.”
Slicer
sighed and rolled his eyes. Odds are, he had had no intention of actually knifing
Ben and George over such a trivial matter, but he had wanted to be able to
scare them a bit longer. He flicked the knife closed and back into his sleeve
with the same magician’s trick as he had used to produce it.
“Looks like
it’s your lucky night, boys,” Slicer sneered. “Just be careful, or maybe next
time, Slicer’s slicer’ll slice’ya.”
“Uh…sorry?”
George asked.
“Yeah, you
better be sorry!” said Slicer, fortunately misinterpreting his confusion as
contrition. “Now you better beat it before Mooky here gets worked up.”
“Huh? I’m
not getting worked up…”
“It’s just
a threat, stupid! Sheesh, we gotta rehearse this better.”
Ben
snorted. Slicer’s eyes narrowed dangerously. Hoping to salvage their fragile
truce, George began to pull his friend away from the two toughs. They had made
it about five or six steps and George was just beginning to think they’d gotten
away with it when Slicer gave a parting shot.
“Yeah, go
on! I bet you hit like a girl anyway!”
Before
George could catch him, Ben wrenched his arm out of his grip, sprinted right at
Slicer and slammed his fist into the crook’s face so hard that he was knocked
to the ground. It all happened so fast that Slicer didn’t even have time to
flick out his knife.
“BEN, NO!”
Mooky,
though was, just as fast as Ben. Slicer had barely hit the ground before one of
his cinderblock-sized fists shot forward and smashed Ben’s nose flat.
George, who
had started after his friend as soon as he realized what he intended, managed
to catch Ben as he fell half-conscious from the blow. Meanwhile Slicer, holding
the side of his face with one hand, lurched to his feet, switchblade at the
ready.
“That was a
stupid move, pal! You’re gonna pay for that! Slicer’s gonna slice y’ah up so
much that yer own mother won’t recognize ya! I’ll slice you both up! And then I’ll…”
“Is there a
problem?”
Slicer
whipped around, stabbing his knife threateningly at the new arrival, who stood
half-shadowed a few feet down the alley.
“Stay out
of this if you know what’s good for you!” Slicer shrieked. “Or I’ll slice you
too!”
“Uh…Slicer?”
“Shut up,
Mooky!” Slicer howled. He seemed to have lost all reason.
“I think we
all need to calm down,” said the newcomer, stepping forward into the light. To
George’s surprise, it was none other than Peter Joshua.
“Alright,
that’s it!” Slicer snarled. “You’re dead,
pal!”
But Slicer
had only taken one step towards him before Joshua drew an automatic pistol from
inside his coat pocket and pointed it right between his eyes. Slicer stopped
dead, suddenly sobered by the sight of the gun.
“Now, I’m
only going to give you one warning,” said Joshua. “Shooting you would involve a
lot of very tedious paper-work and meetings with lawyers. At the moment, that
prospect is unpleasant enough to offset the satisfaction that would come from
putting a bullet in you…”
“Who the
hell do you think you are, pencil-neck?” Slicer snarled.
“…However,”
Joshua continued. “The longer I am acquainted with you, the more satisfying the
idea of shooting you becomes.”
“Do you
have any idea who we work for!?”
Joshua
didn’t answer. He only gave a half smile, as though contemplating something
extremely pleasant.
“Uh…Slicer?”
“Shut up,
Mooky.”
“I’m
thinking maybe we should go.”
Slicer
turned to his partner in disbelief.
“You…you’re thinking?! Why are you thinking?
Who pays you to think? Huh?”
“Uh, no
one, but…”
“Who is the
brains of this outfit?” Slicer asked, gesturing between them with his knife. He
seemed to have temporarily forgotten about the others in his indignation.
George glanced at Joshua who rolled his eyes.
“Who is the brains?” Slicer
repeated. “Me or you?”
“You, but…”
“Me! That’s
right, me! I do the thinking, right? Huh? Right?”
“Right.”
“Right!”
“Well, in
that case,” said Mooky. “Do you think maybe we should go?”
Slicer
looked around at the gun pointing at his head and at Ben nursing his broken
nose. Finally, it seemed to dawn on him just how precarious his situation was.
Struggling to maintain some dignity, he pointed his knife at Ben and George.
“You…I
don’t want to see you guys ever again, huh?”
He turned
to Joshua, obviously intent on delivering a similar threat, then thought better
of it and flicked his knife back up his sleeve.
“Come on,
Mooky; let’s get out of here,” he said sourly.
With a look
of pure venom at the two of them, Slicer stalked past George and Ben, Mooky
trailing behind him like a huge dog.
Joshua
waited until the two thugs had vanished around the corner out of the alley
before lowering his pistol.
“Well,” he
said. “That could have gone a lot worse.”
Ben managed
to get his feet under himself and stood, wobbling, head tilted back and one
hand pressed to his ruined nose.
“Damn,” he
groaned.
George
really wanted to tell him that he deserved it for stupidly letting himself be
so easily goaded and nearly getting them both killed, but he restrained
himself.
“We should
call the police,” he said.
“No, we
really shouldn’t,” said Joshua. “See, those two work for Sonny Scarletto.”
“Who?”
“Luigi
Morello’s right-hand man. If you don’t know who that is, be grateful.”
George
didn’t and he wasn’t.
“What does
that…”
“Let’s just
say the police probably wouldn’t be very interested,” said Joshua. “And leave
it at that.”
“I think I
might need to get to the hospital,” said Ben.
Peter
shrugged and led the way down the alley to the street on the other side, George
and Ben following. The street turned out to be deserted.
“Never a
cab around when you need one,” Peter sighed.
“My cars
that way,” Ben said, pointing with the hand that wasn’t trying to staunch the
bleeding from his shattered nose.
“What were
you doing here?” George asked Peter as they emerged from the alley and headed
for the parking lot.
Joshua gave
him an appraising kind of look.
“I told
you; had a half day.”
“Sir, not
to be insubordinate, but no you didn’t.”
“Sure I
did,” said Joshua. “I arranged it with Dr. Arnold, then I decided to go grab
some dinner.”
“And you
just happened to pick that restaurant?”
“Who said
anything about happenstance?” Joshua replied. “I went there because I knew you
would be there.”
“What do
you mean?”
“George,”
said Joshua, smiling. “You work at a facility that does secret research funded
by the military. Not to be rude, but I don’t just trust to the good nature of
my employees to make sure they keep their mouths shut.”
“You were spying on us!” Ben snarled, so
indignant that he let go of his nose to better glare at Joshua.
“No, I was
spying on him,” said Joshua. “It’s
not my fault you decided to boast about your little coup.”
“Why, you…”
Ben took a
step toward Joshua, but George caught his arm to stop him.
“You not a
fast learner, are you?” said Joshua dryly. “Relax. Calvan’s job is not my job;
I couldn’t care less who runs the company as long as the Birkin Center remains
secure and my paychecks don’t bounce.”
Ben still
seemed angry, but he couldn’t forget about his nose for more than a few seconds
in order to do anything about it.
“In any
case,” Joshua went on. “George, perhaps we’re not clear on the limits of our
classified policy; not telling anyone means not telling anyone; there’s no ‘other employees’ loophole.”
George felt
a sudden dread of a different tone than he had felt while confronting Mooky and
Slicer.
“Oh,” he
said. “I…I apologize sir; I was mistaken in that, and it won’t happen again.”
“Yes,
well,” sighed Joshua. “Since it’s not specifically mentioned, I can see where
you would get that idea, so I won’t fire you this time.”
He left
them at the parking lot, saying “Now, I would like to assume you boys can make
it home without ticking off any more gangsters?”
“He’s a
prick,” Ben said as George drove him to the hospital.
“He’s just
doing his job,” George answered.
“First
thing I’m gonna do once they fix my nose,” said Ben. “Is to call my lawyer and
get those two bastards thrown in jail; I don’t care who they work for! Next, I’ve gotta call my plastic surgeon and set
up a time to get this fixed.”
George
glanced at the squashed and bleeding nose.
“You might
want to think about leaving it,” he said. “I think it’s an improvement.”
“Very
funny.”
“No,
really; it makes you look like a rugged man of action. Besides, it’ll serve as
permanent reminder to think first before you do something stupid like that.”
“He was
asking for it!” Ben protested.
“Of course
he was; he wanted an excuse to cut us into mince-meat. You saw him. You’ve
gotta use some common sense, buddy, or one of these days that temper of yours
is gonna get you killed!”
“Yeah,
yeah, look, who appointed you my mother? Just shut up and drive the car, will
you!”
George
shook his head in resignation. Ben would eventually come around and admit that
he’d been stupid and all the rest. Just not right now. He needed a little time
to simmer with rage at his humiliation. Then he’d calm down, apologize for
being an ass, and things would go back to normal. That was the way it was. Though,
George did hope that tonight’s adventure might inspire his friend to practice
patience and humility a bit more in the future. It sure would save them both a
lot of grief.
Next Week:
Chapter Six: The Huston Gold
No comments:
Post a Comment