“But all the while a very uncomfortable thought was growing inside him.”
-The Hobbit: Out of the Frying Pan, Into the Fire
Ulla looked
much the same as she had when they first met her; very well dressed (this time
in a red dress), immaculately clean, her curly blond hair done up stylishly,
her arrogant, beautiful face supremely bored. She didn’t seem the least
surprised at their appearance (bloody, bruised, dirty, and bound in a giant
web), and merely came in and stood with her arms folded, surveying them with
distaste.
“I thought it might be Nelson or
someone,” She went on “What on
Earth are you doing here?”
“Trying to
leave,” said Helen. “What are you doing here?”
“Oh, I was
bored and I thought I’d take a walk,” she answered. “The sun gets rather
tiresome sometimes, don’t you agree?”
“No,” they
both said at once.
“Well, it
does,” she said, as though that settled the matter. “So, I came wandering down
here to see if there was anything interesting.”
“You
just…walked down here?” Helen asked. “By yourself?”
“Bruce and
Miguel got eaten by that damn snake,” she said irritably. “And since dear Donny
won’t lend me any replacement servants, yes, I am by myself at the moment.”
Helen and
Hendricks glanced at each other. Ulla’s obvious disregard for the whole ‘the
island is being overrun with monsters’ situation was creepy; as though she
weren’t experiencing the same reality that they were. Neither felt the urge to investigate
any further, even if they had thought it was wise to do so.
“I, uh,
don’t suppose you could help us get this stuff off?” Hendricks asked (It couldn’t hurt to ask, he thought).
“Me? Help you?” Ulla laughed; a shrill, haughty
laugh that, though it was obviously genuine, was all the more frightening for
that fact.
“Oh, people
are always expecting me to do things
for them, aren’t they?” she went on. “Just like Donald; always demanding that I
help him. I buy him an island. I fund
his little ‘save-the-world’ project. I go through nine-months of ulcers because
he insists on keeping the little
devils. And what do I get for it?”
“Wait,
what?” Hendricks exclaimed. “What was that last one?”
“I wanted
to get rid of them,” she said. “I told him that I had my own plans and my own
life to live, and I didn’t intend to wait for a few months to get on with them,
but he begged and he threatened and I just had to give in. He’s so selfish, you
know?”
“You
mean…you and he…”
“Yes, we
were engaged at one point,” said Ulla. “Not that it’s any of your business. Dodged a bullet there, didn’t I? Or nearly;
had to deliver his little brood before I could really get away.”
“Prosser
has children?” Helen asked in horror.
“Well, he had children,” said Ulla carelessly. “I
don’t know if he still does; fed them to one of his pets as likely as not. Twin
boys. And a lot of trouble they were, too.”
“What were
their names?” Helen asked automatically.
“I don’t
know that they had names,” said Ulla.
“I certainly didn’t give them any! I
handed them off to Donny as soon as I could, I can tell you that.”
Helen
stared at her. Much as she had disliked Ulla previously, the casual way she
said all of this – as if it were meaningless gossip that had nothing at all to
do with her – made Helen utterly hate the woman.
“You know,”
said Ulla. “I believe Donald wants me to kill you.”
There was a
very tense pause.
“Are you…going
to?” Hendricks asked.
Ulla
shrugged.
“I suppose
so,” she said. “Though I confess part of me wants to leave you alone just to
spite him.”
“Why do you do so much for him?” Hendricks
asked.
“Oh,
there’s nothing special about that,” said Ulla. “It’s simply that he’s privy to
certain information that would be very bothersome to me if it were to get out.”
“Blackmail,
then?”
“If you
like,” she said.
“Wait,
though,” said Helen. “Whatever it is, I imagine that if he exposes you, he
won’t be able to rely on your money anymore, right?”
Ulla
frowned at her.
“Yes,
that’s true.”
“So, if he
ruins you, he’ll ruin himself as well,” Hendricks pointed out, catching on.
“I suppose
so,” said Ulla.
“That means
he’s bluffing!” said Helen. “He wouldn’t dare risk ruining his crazy dream, so
he’d never actually expose you! He
just wants you to think he will so he
can keep pumping you for cash.”
Ulla looked
at them very hard for a long time. They waited with baited breath.
“I’ll have
to talk to him about this,” she said at last.
“Uh, you
know,” said Hendricks. “That…might
not be a good idea. He’s liable to react badly if he thinks your threatening
his master plan.”
Ulla
laughed again, and it was just as disturbing as before. “Oh, dear, I’m not
afraid of him!” she said. “I’m untouchable, remember? But, there still remains
the question of whether I should kill you.”
“What?”
said Helen. “Buy why would you?”
“Because I
don’t like you, darling,” she said
lazily. “You’re an annoying little slut whom the world would be better off
without.”
Helen
automatically took a step forward, but Hendricks caught her arm with a warning
look.
“But on the
other hand, it would be very tedious, when you’re certainly going to get eaten
by one of Donald’s pets anyway, so why should I bother? Yes, I think I’ll leave
you for now. Consider it my good deed for the year. Oh, and just because I’m
feeling extra generous, I suppose
I’ll tell you that that webbing can only be cut by heat. I really hope we don’t
meet again; I’d simply have to kill
you if we did.”
Ulla gave
them a mean smile that said only too plainly that she didn’t think they would,
turned, and walked out without further adieu.
Hendricks
took a long, relieved breath.
“That,” he
said. “Was close.”
“I think we
could have taken her,” said Helen.
“Yeah, I’m
not betting on it,” said Hendricks. “Anyone who can be that casual at a time
like this is someone I’m not going to mess around with. Prosser probably made
her up like Charles or Hank.”
“Do you
think she’d let him?”
“Do I think
she would want to be invulnerable and inhumanly strong?”
“Okay,
stupid question. Now what about this?” she indicated the web that was covering
her arm and hanging down like a cloak. “How are we going to burn this off
without burning ourselves?
“Well, I
suppose the first thing is to find some way of burning it at all,” Hendricks
pointed out. “But…let’s let her get a head start first.”
“Good idea.
Uh, do you mind if we sit down for a while?”
Hendricks
was glad she asked, and they sank down against the wall with a relieved sigh.
They sat in
silence for a few moments, each enjoying the sensation of relief to their stiff
and tired limbs.
“Hey,
Hendricks?” Helen said suddenly.
“Yeah?”
“Do you
like soccer?”
“Not
really,” Hendricks admitted, a little surprised by the question. “I prefer
baseball.”
Helen
grimaced. “Eh, baseball’s too slow for me.”
“Well, you
know,” he said. “It’s all about the strategy and creating tension.”
“Which is
just a fancy way of saying that it’s boring,” she said.
“At least
it’s not just a bunch of guys running around kicking a ball for three hours.”
“That’s the
point, though,” she said. “You have to think on your feet and have a lot of
endurance. Heck, soccer’s probably why I’m still going! I’ll have to be sure to
let Coach Wheeler know that.”
“Yeah, but
baseball is about thinking period,” said Hendricks. “Planning, picking your
play, making the best use of resources. You know; it’s a thinking man’s game.”
“Until you
get hit in the head with a ball.”
They both
laughed.
“Hey,
Helen?”
“What?”
“Maybe…after
we escape, you’d like to come to a game with me and I can…try to convert you?”
Helen
looked at him with a surprised, but not unwelcoming expression.
“Okay,” she
said. “But only if I can take you to a soccer game afterwards so you can see
how much better it is.”
He smiled.
“Deal.”
There was a
pause.
“I think she’s got a big enough lead now,”
said Helen. “We probably should get a move on.”
Hendricks
nodded and they heaved themselves up, which took some effort and coordination
on their part (and a few tries before they managed it).
“Okay,”
said Helen once they were on their feet again. “Where are we going?”
“I
thought,” said Hendricks. “That we’d just go the same way we were going; toward
the docks, but keeping our eyes peeled for anything that we can use to get this
stuff off along the way.”
“What if we
don’t find anything?”
“Then I say
we just grab the first boat we find and full steam ahead. We can get it taken
care of after we escape.”
“That’s
fair,” she said.
They
checked that the coast was clear and then set off, limping along in their
absurd, potato-sack-race manner. The crowbar was still stuck to Hendricks’s
right hand, which he couldn’t open.
A short way
down the corridor, they paused at a four-way junction, looking up and down the
halls.
“Where
now?” Hendricks asked.
“Let me
think…” said Helen. “I kind of lost my sense of direction.”
“Well, we
were going…that way, I think…
“I think
it’s this way…”
“Wait,
what’s that down…”
“Careful!”
“Aaagh!”
Helen suddenly
found herself looking up into the Hendricks’s face and trying to get her breath
back. It had been knocked out when he landed on top of her.
“We need to
get this fixed,” he said, twitching the web.
Helen nodded.
“Off…” she
gasped.
“Oh, right.”
Hendricks rolled off of her. She breathed deeply.
“Sorry,” he
said.
“Don’t
worry about it,” she sighed. “So what did you see?”
“I thought
I might have seen a machine shop,” he said. “Through the window down that way.”
He pointed over his head. “Might be a torch or something in there.”
“Sounds good,” said Helen. “Oh,
great; now we need to get up again.”
When they
had managed to struggle to their feet again, they went to investigate.
Hendricks had indeed seen a small machine shop with a large glass window
looking out onto the corridor.
They paused
outside of it, peering in through the glass. It was fairly small shop, but from
what they could see it had a torch, at least, and there didn’t seem to be
anyone in there. Nevertheless, the two of them exchanged a very doubtful look.
“It just
seems…” Hendricks muttered.
“Too easy,”
Helen finished for him.
They
hesitated and looked closer.
“Well,”
Hendricks said after a few more moments. “I guess it’s not going to get any
better from just standing here.”
“I guess,”
she said.
She grasped
his hand. He wanted to do the same, but that was the hand that was stuck around
his crowbar.
They both
took a deep breath and opened the door.
Nothing
especially frightening happened. They moved into the shop, keeping a sharp
lookout for any movement. But they saw none. All was still.
They
stopped. Helen picked up an acetylene torch from the workbench and tried it. It
started to life on the second try.
“Okay,” she
said. “Here goes…”
“Wait, do
you know how to use that thing?” Hendricks asked.
“Well, I
think so,” she said. “I did just turn it on.”
“Have you
ever used one before?”
“Yeah, in
shop class.”
“Have you
used one since?”
“No, but
all I’m going to do is cut some web; it’s not like I’m going to be spot welding
something.”
“I
suppose,” said Hendricks. “Okay, just wanted to make sure…”
At that
moment there was horrible noise from right behind them. They both whipped
around, but the wrong way so that they only succeeded in slamming into each
other and Hendricks very nearly had a chunk of his torso burned out with the
torch. From this very awkward position, however, they were able to see…
They
stared. If the creature had been a very little faster, that might have been it
for them, but they couldn’t help it. Of all the bizarre things they had seen so
far, this was most definitely the most bizarre.
It was a
giant toad. Or rather, a giant half-toad. Its left side had the brown, wrinkly
appearance of any garden toad, except that it was the size of a Great Dane. Its
right side, however, simply wasn’t there. There was no outline, no faintest
trace of shape or color to it; the workbench behind was clearly visible as
though there was nothing but air in between. Yet the toad held itself perfectly
balanced on its two legs, without the slightest sign of awkwardness or
difficulty.
They saw
all this in a moment as the toad waddled toward them, making a horrible
gurgling noise. Then, all of a sudden, it sprang forward, its mouth opened
revealing a row of sharp, tiny teeth running around the brim.
Hendricks
swung around to untangle himself and free his arm. He caught the toad on the
head with the crowbar, but in the effort doing so he pulled Helen off balance,
and of course when she fell he was pulled down on top of her again.
The
half-toad, however, backed off, gurgling in pain and staggering about. As it
turned away, its empty right side turned towards Hendricks…and suddenly, he
found he wasn’t looking at anything at all.
But
Hendricks didn’t have time to puzzle this phenomenon out. He struggled upwards,
helping a slightly-squashed Helen up alongside him. The half-toad turned back
to them, growling. Hendricks sprang forward and swung at it again, pulling
Helen off balance again, but managing to hit the half-toad another blow before ending
up on top of her for the third time.
“Will you
stop that?!” Helen gasped.
The
half-toad came up, it’s half-mouth open wide, its eyes bulging. Hendricks swung
again, hitting it up under its jaw. He seized the top of its nose, pulled
himself up as far as he could, and began wailing on its head again and again.
The half-toad struggled, groaned, and then was still.
“Is
it…dead?” Helen asked (she was still very short of breath from all the times
Hendricks had fallen on her).
“I think
so,” said Hendricks, rolling off of her and poking it a few times. It didn’t
move. “Yeah, it’s dead.”
“Okay, so what the hell else is it!?”
Hendricks didn’t have the slightest idea. He
jabbed at it with his crowbar again, feeling where the other half should have
been. He found, to his slight surprise, that there was something there. He felt
it with his free hand. It was the same molted, slimy flesh as the rest of the
creature. He looked at his hand and yelped.
“What is
it?” Helen asked.
He showed
her. She yelped too.
Hendricks’s
palm had turned transparent where it had touched the toad. When he held it up
and looked at it, he could see Helen right through it. But then, when he turned
it towards her, he saw the back of his hand normally.
“It’s
invisible,” he said in awe, looking down at the dead half-toad. “Or, at least,
half-invisible. And it rubbed off on me!”
“Does this
mean you’re going to turn invisible too?” Helen asked.
“It’d be
kinda useful if it did,” Hendricks pointed out.
“Yeah, except
that I suppose most of the monsters would still be able to smell you,” she said
in rather disappointed voice. “Still, it’d be helpful if we run into any guards
or Charles.”
“Oh, well,
doesn’t matter,” said Hendrcks. “It’s wearing off already.
And it was.
Hendricks’s hand was almost completely visible again. Not only that, but the
right side of the dead toad was also appearing, bit by bit, as whatever kept it
invisible faded away with its death.
Hendricks
felt the small part of the toad that remained invisible again and examined his
now-clear fingers; whatever it was, it didn’t feel like anything, and it didn’t last very long.
“So,” said
Helen. “Prosser can make things invisible.”
“I guess,”
said Hendricks. “Lucky it doesn’t seem to work very well. Come on, let’s get
this stuff off.”
Helen
picked up the torch (which she had thrown aside to avoid any accidents) and lit
it again. They pulled the web taut between them and she started running it down
the length. The web snapped almost instantly upon contact with the flame, so
that it only took a few seconds for them to separate themselves from one
another.
“That’s
better!” sighed Helen, cutting as much loose webbing away from herself as she
could without burning herself. “I like you, but I don’t think I can stand that
much close contact.”
She grinned
and handed him the torch. Hendricks chuckled, but at the same time was rather
nervously trying to gauge how much she was joking.
“What about
this?” he said when he had gotten as much webbing off as he could. He held up
his right hand, which was stuck fast around the crowbar.
“Oh, yeah,”
said Helen. She took his hand and examined it, grimacing.
“I hate to
say this,” she said. “But it looks like we’re going to have to do this the, ah,
old fashioned way.
“What?!”
said Hendricks. “Helen, I’m not slicing up my other had just to let go of something I’m going to be carrying
around most of the time anyway!”
“What if
you need to drop it? What if you need to grab something else?”
“Two torn
up hands aren’t gonna do much better,” he pointed out. “And at least this thing
has a hook, so it’s not like it makes me completely
helpless.”
Helen
considered this.
“It’s your
hand,” she conceded. “But are you sure?”
“I’ve had
my hands ripped open before,” he said. “Trust me; this is better.”
“Okay
then,” she sighed. “Sure it doesn’t hurt?”
“Oh, yeah,
it hurts,” said Hendricks. “But it’d hurt a lot more to take it off.”
“I
suppose,” she said. “Alright then. Let’s try to make it to the docks; I think
we should be almost there…”
“Uh,
Helen?”
“What?”
“I just
thought of something.”
“Well?”
Hendricks
bit his lip. He really didn’t want to say what he thought he must.
“You
remember what Nelson said, about how they’re just getting started.”
Helen
didn’t respond, but from the way she turned a little paler he thought she knew
exactly what he was going to say.
“And now we
just learned that he’s working on making things invisible, and, well, who knows
what else he’s got going.”
She still
didn’t answer, but her face fell into an almost pleading look, as though she
were begging him not to go on.”
“So, it
just occurred to me,” he continued, trying not to look her in the face. “That
we…if there’s anything we can do about it, we really ought to.”
“What can
we do?” she asked.
“Well, Dr.
Prosser said he keeps that metal formula in his private lab, and from what Nelson
said that’s probably where that universal-whatsit is kept as well. I mean, if
we could get in there…”
“We can’t!”
said Helen. “I told you, it’s being guarded!”
“I know,”
he said. “But…look, we can’t just not do anything!”
Helen
clenched her teeth and looked skyward, as though praying for something to prove
him wrong.
“This is
really stupid,” she said.
“Yeah,” he
conceded. “But, you know, the fate of the world is kind of at stake here.”
She looked
at him, very pale, gave an attempt at an encouraging smile, and nodded.
“But look,”
he said suddenly. “There’s no need for both of us to go. I’ll get you to the
boats, and then you can get away and I’ll follow you when…when it’s done.”
“No!” she
exclaimed. “If we are going to do
this – and, again, it’s really stupid – then we’re both going. In the first place, you don’t know whether you’ll be
able to get back to the docks afterwards...”
“Which is
all the more reason to go now and at least get you off,” he pointed out. “I
mean, that’s kind of the point of this whole thing, isn’t it?”
“And if
you’re going to try to try to break into what’s probably going to be the most
heavily guarded room on the island,” she went on, ignoring this. “You’re going
to need help! I mean, odds are it’s not going to work either way, but the only
way it might is if we work together.
So, no, I’m not going to leave – even assuming I could, which we’ve admitted is
doubtful – and let you run a suicide mission without me.”
She fixed
him with a fierce, determined look, and for a second he could easily believe
she was a governor’s daughter.
“Okay,
okay!” he said. “If you insist. Now, uh, do you know which way to his lab?”
“I think I
can guess,” she said.
Next Week:
Chapter Eighteen: In the Lion's Den
No comments:
Post a Comment