“I must
Bestow upon the eyes of this young couple
Some vanity of mine art: it is my promise,
And they expect it from me.”
-Prospero, The Tempest
“I’m sorry
for the theatrics,” said Charles as he marched them back up the passage. It
didn’t occur to either of them to try to escape; the revelation of Charles’s
power seemed to have temporarily sapped any will of resistance from their
souls, and they proceeded quietly in front of him. “I couldn’t resist playing
with you a little after you shot me. Honestly, though, we could have avoided
all of this if you had just come with me in the first place.”
They went
through the winding passage and the huge, empty room in silence. It was only
when they were approaching Prosser’s study again that Helen asked “What are
you?”
“Such stuff
as dreams are made on,” he answered with a grin. “The dreams of every soldier
and every man.” He laughed. “To put it in laymen’s terms, I can’t die. Or at
least, as far as we know. My body can keep working and heal itself even in the
face of catastrophic damage. This also means I can’t get sick, be poisoned,
drown, or suffocate. For all intents and purposes, I’m invulnerable. But Dr.
Prosser can provide a much better explanation than I…And what did you do to his study?!”
They had
just come through the mirror and Charles stared around in disbelief at the
trashed office and shattered window.
“My God!
When Dr. Prosser sees this…what were you thinking?”
Charles glared
at them furiously.
“Come on,”
he growled. “We’ll deal with this later.”
He opened
the study door and they obediently followed him down the hall into the library.
Dr. Prosser stood by the fire place, his hands clasped behind his back, staring
meditatively at the painting over the mantle. A thin, sour-faced man was
leaning against the wall, and sitting in one of the armchairs reading a book
was…
“Ralph!”
“Oh, dear,
they got you then?” he said, looking up. “I thought they might. What do you
know? It turns out they were expecting you to make a run for it. Mr. Hendricks!
Whatever happened to you?”
Hendricks
jerked his aching head at Charles, who said “They were a little reluctant to accept your invitation,
doctor.”
“Invitation?!”
Helen exclaimed.
“Where’s
Hogan?” Hendricks demanded. “And the crew?”
“Oh, don’t
worry about them,” said Charles. “We’re keeping them quite safe.”
Prosser
looked over at them for the first time, his face quite expressionless.
“Mr.
Wainwright, please alert Dr. Kipling that we have a patient for him,” he said.
The sour-faced man nodded and left.
“Wainwright?”
Hendricks asked. The name seemed oddly familiar to him.
“Yes. A
colleague of yours, I believe,” said Charles dryly.
Before
Hendricks could work out what this meant (the pain in his head and chest was
making it very hard to think) he was interrupted by Prosser inviting them to
sit. Helen and Hendricks glanced at each other and sat down on the couch. Ralph
carefully marked his spot and put the book away while Charles walked over to
Prosser and muttered something in his ear. Prosser nodded and Charles went and
stood behind Helen and Hendricks.
“The time
has come,” said Prosser. “To be honest with you. First of all, I apologize for
any rough handling you have experienced. Charles can get a little carried away
at times.”
Charles
acknowledged this with a shrug and a nod. Prosser took a moment to collect his
thoughts.
“The story
I told you, Helen, of how I came to this island, was true, as far as it went. I
really was forced out of Empire State University, and I really did go to work
for Centron Farms…”
“Empire
State University!” Hendricks exclaimed suddenly, which set his head throbbing
violently. “That’s where I heard your name before,” he continued more softly,
massaging his head. “You’re the one who blew up the observatory.”
“That was
an unavoidable accident,” Prosser said sharply. “And yes, I recognized your
name, Mr. Hendricks. It was your father who forced me to resign.”
“Because
you blew up the observatory,” Hendricks pointed out.
Prosser
glared at him.
“As I say,
it was an unfortunate and unavoidable accident,” he said. “And the damages were
comparatively slight.”
“But what
were you doing in the observatory if you’re a doctor?” Helen asked.
“Because I
am not a medical doctor,” he said. “Despite what you’ve been led to believe. I
am a physicist by training. That lie was necessary to bring you to this
island.”
Helen
looked angrily at Prosser.
“And what
did you want with me?” she asked.
“That will
become clear shortly,” he replied. “Ah, here is Dr. Kipling.”
Wainwright
had just appeared in the doorway, followed by a small, dumpy man with a vacant
expression. He was balding, unshaven, and muttering non-stop under his breath.
“Doctor, your
patient,” said Prosser, gesturing at Hendricks.
Kipling
stared at Prosser for a few seconds, as though shocked to find that he was in
the room. He then waddled over to Hendricks, who felt faintly terrified to have
this man as his doctor.
“Er, is he the
only doctor on the island?” Hendricks asked.
Kipling
stared at him with a hurt expression.
“I…I am a
good d-doctor,” he muttered. “A v-very good doctor…I am-am very good…”
Still
muttering about how good a doctor he was, Kipling opened his bag and pulled on
a set of rubber gloves. They weren’t medical gloves; they were the kind that
you might see being used to handle highly toxic material.
“S-shirt,”
Kipling muttered, gesturing vaguely at Hendricks. “Shirt up. Up shirt. Shirt
needs to be up.”
“Oh, yeah,”
said Hendricks, wincing as he pulled his shirt up. Helen gasped as he revealed
a set of huge, black bruises where Charles had beat him.
Kipling
pulled out a large tube, like an over-sized toothpaste, and an old rag. He
squeezed a small amount of bright red goo onto the rag and rubbed it out,
careful not to touch any, even with his gloves.
“I should
warn you,” said Charles. “This might sting a bit.”
“N-now,
now, now h-hold still…very still…” Kipling said. And pressed the rag to
Hendricks’s torso.
It was pain
beyond anything Hendricks had ever experienced. He felt as though Kipling had
pressed a red-hot poker to an open wound. He pushed Kipling off of himself and
clutched at his ribs, but that only caused his hands to burn as well. He
screamed and writhed in blinding agony…
Then, as
suddenly as it had begun, it was over. Hendricks opened his eyes to find that
he had fallen onto the floor and Ralph and Helen were bent over him. He sat up,
gasping for breath and sore all over.
“What the
hell did you do to him?!” Helen shrieked.
“We healed
him,” said Prosser. “Go ahead, Mr. Hendricks; take a look.”
Hendricks
looked under his shirt and saw, to his amazement, that the bruises had
vanished. He felt his ribs; they were slightly sore, but not painful.
“What…what
is that stuff?”
“Informally,
we call it Goop,” said Prosser, with an expression that told this wasn’t his
choice. “In short, it is a synthesized version of the same process we used on
Charles, combined with a powerful acid to allow it to seep into the skin. It
can heal most injuries almost immediately, though we haven’t found any way to
dull the pain.”
While
Hendricks was mulling this over, he unfortunately didn’t notice Kipling
muttering right next to him.
“Face…n-now
must do face….”
“Wait, no!”
Kipling
pressed the rag to Hendricks’s face, and again he felt as though his skin was
on fire. After about ten long seconds of blinding agony, Hendricks’s nose was
back into shape and he scrambled to his feet to get away from Dr. Kipling.
“There you
are,” said Charles. “No harm done.”
“No, a lot of harm was done!” Hendricks
snapped, massaging his aching face.
“Don’t be
such a child,” said Charles.
“A
fascinating substance,” said Ralph, picking up the tube and examining it. “But
what do you mean by ‘the same process used on Charles?’”
“No, no, no
touching!” said Kipling, pointing a shaking finger at Ralph. “Don’t touch!
Please put-put it back and-and-and don’t touch…”
“Oh, yes;
awfully sorry,” said Ralph, putting the tube back into the bag. “But as to my
question…”
“All in
good time,” said Prosser. “But first, I think, we need to return to the
starting point, which is why I had all of you brought here.
Ralph
shrugged. “Very well.” And he, Helen, and Hendricks resumed their seats.
Prosser
took his own seat in the arm chair in front of the fireplace and pressed his
hands together as though praying.
“First of
all, Mr. Hendricks, let me say that, the fact that you, of all people, are
here, is indeed a startling coincidence,” he spoke as though he had no personal
interest in the subject, but was noting it as a piece of history. “But one I am
quite glad of. Did your father ever speak of the incident?”
“Some,”
said Hendricks, “Not much. Just that you, you know, blew it up because…”
He stopped,
thinking that the reason his father had given probably wouldn’t endear him to
Prosser.
“It doesn’t
matter much,” said Prosser, ignoring the obvious gap in his account. “I only
wish to comment that I am pleased that you, at least, will be able to comprehend
his shortsightedness.”
“That means
you’re gonna let me go afterwards to tell him about it, right?” Hendricks asked
hopefully.
“Perhaps,”
said Prosser. “It depends.”
“Depends on
what?”
“On her,”
said Prosser, nodding at Helen, who looked startled.
“Me?”
“Yes. You
see, I intend to offer you a permanent position here, Ms. Marshall, and much
depends upon your acceptance.”
“What are
you talking about?”
Prosser
hesitated for a half-second.
“Before I
explain any further,” he said. “It might be best for you to have an idea of
what this island really is.”
“I thought
you were going to explain that now,” said Ralph in a tone of amused impatience.
Prosser
spared him a contemptuous glance before resuming his meditative study of his
own fingers.
“This
island,” he said at last. “Is the epicenter of the salvation of man.”
A silence
followed this remarkable statement, and Prosser continued.
“Here we
are developing the means that will allow us to end all human suffering; all
war, all famine, all poverty, all disease.”
He smiled
suddenly and looked over at Helen.
“What do
you think of that?”
“I…” said
Helen, faintly alarmed at the sudden request for her opinion. “Well, that
sounds a little too good to be true.”
“It does,
doesn’t it?” said Prosser. “I wouldn’t believe it myself, if I hadn’t been
watching the idea flourish and grow over the past twelve years. It has been
very slow and very difficult work, but now, at last, we are ready to begin in
earnest. If all goes well, we should be able to begin the revolution of
humanity by the end of the decade.”
“I take
it,” said Helen softly. “That you’re not really working on cures or anything
like that?”
“You have
seen a cure in this very room,” said Prosser. “And, in a sense, we are working
on a total cure; a cure for all of humanity. But for individual diseases, no,
we are not. We deal with much grander things.”
“But what kind of things?” said Ralph. “You seem
remarkably reluctant to make that clear.”
Prosser
surveyed him with dislike, then smiled.
“Perhaps I
shall give you all a little tour before dinner,” he said. “So that you will
have some idea…”
“This island was originally a missile base,” Prosser said
as he led the four of them – Hendricks, Helen, Ralph, and Charles – out of the
villa and down the path to the facility. “Built in the1950s, when the Cuban
Revolution began. I suspect they foresaw the day when Russia would send
missiles to Cuba. In any case, after the Missile Crisis, President Whitmore
shut down and abandoned the facility. Apparently, he thought it might be a
political liability for his Latin American agenda. The island was then
re-purchased by the original owner, and I purchased it from him. Or, rather,
Ms. Orlich, whom I understand you met this afternoon, purchased it from him on
my behalf.”
“Why’d she do that?” Hendricks asked.
“It wasn’t out of charity, I can assure you,” he said
dryly. “In any case, I found the facility in desperate need of repair, and set
about transforming it into a suitable laboratory for my research. The result is
more or less what you see before you. Most of it, though, is underground. It
even spreads out underneath the ocean in some of the deeper levels.”
As they approached the gate to the facility he waved
lazily at the guards, who saluted him.
“Where’d you get the guards?” Hendricks asked.
“They’re on loan,” said Prosser. “From El Jefe.”
“El Jefe?” exclaimed Helen. “I wouldn’t think he’d be interested in…whatever you’re
doing.”
“He isn’t,” said Prosser. “But it is a mutually
beneficial arrangement. He provides some of his resources, I provide him with
technology to further his goals. He intends to conquer and control all the drug
cartels in the Caribbean, which means he needs unmatched-power. I can provide
him that. For instance, Charles here occasionally runs errands for him.”
“And you’re not concerned about…about what he does?”
Helen asked.
Prosser gave her a very serious look.
“Of course I am,” he said. “But drug lords will continue
to exist as long as there is a despair and hopelessness in the world. I am
working to eliminate these things and, consequently, the drug lords. In the
meantime, though, isn’t it better that some of his resources are going to a
good cause rather than simply being reinvested in spreading misery and
violence?”
Helen didn’t answer, and the party was silent as they
passed into the lobby of the facility. It was a spacious, high-ceilinged room,
marked on the floor by an insignia: a golden phoenix rising out a red
fire. There were about a half-a-dozen
guards in the room, and as the ones by the gate had done they saluted Prosser
as he came in. Prosser walked up to one of the doors and pressed his hand into
a small screen next to it. The hand-scanner hummed for a second, then beeped as
the door unlocked itself to admit them.
“What we have been working on,” he said as he led them
along a brightly lit concrete corridor. “Is a new phase in biological warfare.
Rather than releasing plagues or gas, we are creating new kinds of warriors.”
He paused at one of the doors that lined the corridor. “For example. Meet
Anansi.”
He threw open the door and led them into a small
observation room. Computer screens lined the walls and a pair of metal desks
stood crookedly on the floor. The far wall was comprised entirely of a pane of
clear plastic, looking into what appeared to be an enormous, circular
two-storey cage. Inside the cage was…
Hendricks shut his eyes, shook his head very hard, and
opened them again. No, it was still there.
It was a spider the size of a small car, jet-black in
color, with long, sharply jointed legs and thick tufts of hair sticking out
sparsely on its fat, shiny body. There was an ugly, pale design on its back
that looked vaguely like a question mark. It was sitting quite still in its
web, which was about the size of a marquee and covered half the diameter of the
cage, its ugly, multi-eyed head focused on the visitors.
“You have got
to be kidding…” Helen muttered.
“Big one, that,” said Ralph cheerfully.
“Anansi,” said Prosser, “is, as you can see, a mutated
spider. He combines the traits of several species, including the Black Widow,
the Funnel-Web, and the common Wolf-Spider. His venom is, of course, lethal,
and his web is roughly as strong as iron wire.”
Prosser paused gazing into the cage at his creation,
which gazed right back.
“But the most remarkable thing about him,” he went on.
“Is his intelligence. Of course, we have only been able to run very basics
tests so far, but he demonstrates a cognitive capacity that we would never have
expected of arthropod. His intelligence appears to be at least equal to a
German Shepherd’s, if not more.”
Hendricks found this hard to believe, in part because
Anansi wasn’t doing anything particularly intelligent at the moment. He simply
sat and looked at his visitors.
“Okay,” said Helen. “How the heck did you make a giant, super-intelligent spider?”
Prosser smiled.
“Through a combination of carefully applied radiation and
very special gene therapy,” he said. “The specifics I would rather keep to myself
for now.”
“So…this is
what you’re working on?” Helen asked.
“More or less,” said Prosser. “Of course, I have many
different projects and many fields of research. The ‘Goop,’ of course, was
another…”
“I don’t think you’ve got all the kinks worked out of
that one,” Hendricks muttered.
Prosser ignored him.
“But I don’t understand how…that helps anyone!” said Helen.
“You will,” said Prosser, leading them out of the
observation room (Anansi hadn’t moved the whole time) and back into the
corridor. “But for right now, allow me to show you another of my projects.”
As they rode the elevator down, Hendricks thought of
something else.
“What do you use for power?”
“Hydro-electricity,” said Prosser. “We use the ocean.
It’s a complicated system in which water is let in to one of the subsurface
levels to flow past the turbines and then allowed to drain back into the sea.
The actual output is a little lower than I would prefer, of course, but the
sustainability makes up for it. When we need an extra boost of power, we simply
‘save up,’ so to speak.”
“What do you mean, ‘save up’?”
“We store it in powerful batteries, and then add them to
the normal output,” he said. “It’s difficult, but it works.”
The doors slid open, revealing a corridor much like the one
above it.
“Charming,” said Ralph. “Is all the facility this
sumptuously decorated?”
“I have much more important things on my mind,” Prosser
said acidly as he led them down the corridor. “Than interior decoration.”
“Still,” said Ralph. “I’d imagine you’d get a lot more
done if the environment were more stimulating…”
Hendricks glanced back at Ralph, who was walking behind
him. What, in their present circumstances, could be less important than Prosser’s taste in interior design?
“As you may have surmised,” Prosser went on, ignoring
Ralph. “We have had some success crossing different species. But until recently
our projects have been limited to crossing species of the same Family. This
next specimen is our first successful attempt to cross animals of different
Phyla.”
He led the way to the very end of the hall where there
was a heavy metal door, like a bulkhead. Charles stepped forward and opened it
for them, and Prosser led the group into the next chamber.
This one was set on a high catwalk and the clear plastic
walls slanted outward, allowing a downward view into a large pool, much larger
than an Olympic swimming pool. A huge black shape was swimming in the murky
water, but it was so strange, so misshapen that at first Hendricks couldn’t
tell what he was looking at.
“Oh, my God,” Helen whispered, staring at it, her eyes
wide with astonishment. “That’s….that’s a…croctopus?”
“Octodile,” Prosser corrected.
Hendricks gasped. Now he saw it; the long, slender
crocodile shape, with eight thick, black tentacles growing out of its sides.
Its shape had been so hard to identify at first because the tentacles kept
waving and rippling about in the water as it swam.
“How big is that thing?” he asked, trying to visually
measure it against the pool it was in.
“About thirty feet from nose to tail,” said Prosser. “Weighing
roughly two tons. The tentacles are each twenty feet. It doesn’t have suckers,
like an octopus, but the tentacles are nevertheless extremely strong. It’s been
learning to use them fairly well.”
They watched the Octodile drift lazily through the water
for a few minutes before Prosser led them back into the hall. They passed the
elevator, turned a corner, and proceeded all the way down to the far end. There
was only a single door in this entire hall. Prosser paused outside of it, and
Hendricks almost thought he seemed excited, if that were possible.
“Finally,”
he said. “I wish to show you my latest creation. It combines size, speed, and
offensive capabilities with built-in armor that can repel most hand-held
firearms…”
“In simple,
laymen’s terms,” Charles put in. “It’s a very big snake.”
Prosser
gave Charles a slightly annoyed look and opened the door.
This was
another observation room, much like the others. As with the previous rooms, the
far wall was almost completely taken up by a huge window of clear plastic, only
this one was reinforced inside and out by a set of thick steel bars and wires.
In the cage
was, indeed, an enormous snake, at least sixty feet long, and a bright green in
color. Its flat, triangular head and yellow eyes were fixed on the observation
room, and as soon as the group entered the room it hissed violently.
“This is
Python,” said Prosser. “Python is, according to early tests, the most
successful biological weapon I have produced. He is, in fact, the only one of
the current crop that I am seriously considering keeping for the next phase. My
first true warrior.”
Python
suddenly opened his mouth, revealing long, viper-like fangs. A smoking,
dark-green liquid spattered the bars and plastic, causing Helen and Hendricks
to duck instinctively. Charles laughed at their reaction.
“That,”
said Prosser. “Is a very powerful biological acid. Python is conditioned to use
it as his primary offensive weapon. He is extremely accurate and has a recorded
range of more than fifty feet. His scales, as I mentioned, are specially
reinforced to withstand most rifle fire: it would take at least a fifty-caliber
machine gun to pierce his hide. He’s not as intelligent as Anansi, but he has
the capacity for fairly sophisticated tactical behavior, and his tracking
skills are the best we’ve ever developed. In short, I would identify Python as
our greatest success to date.”
Python
curled up like a viper and lunged forward. The instance he struck the bars of
his cage, there was a flash like lightning and he jerked back, hissing angrily.
“He tests
those roughly every hour,” said Prosser. “As you can imagine, we have to
exercise extreme precautions with him. We even had to install this special
chamber to feed him safely.”
At the far
corner of the room was a huge, metal door that looked like it could withstand a
missile blast.
“It opens
onto a kind of air-lock,” he explained. “The controls are designed so that only
one end can be opened at a time. The far end, of course, opens onto his cage.
The chamber itself is lined with an exposed electrical cable; when we first
started using it Python refused to exit the chamber and kept trying to break
down the inner door. Charles had to go in and lure him away from it for us to
get the outer door closed again.”
“He’s
always trying to get out,” said Charles, meeting the snake’s eyes through the
cage. “I guess he just really likes killing people.”
Hendricks
looked at Charles, who caught his eye and gave him a grin that showed he knew
exactly what Hendricks was thinking.
“I’m a professional, Mr. Hendricks,” he said.
“Python is a mindless animal. I have a purpose in what I do; he doesn’t. That
makes all the difference in the world.”
Next Week:
Chapter Seven: Perfect Killing Machines
No comments:
Post a Comment